Saturday, September 15, 2012

Quickie - ANGEL TREE!

Okay, okay, okay, before I say anything else I'll admit to being horrible at commitment blogging.  I won't break the committment, but sometimes when something's on my mind, I have to get it out first to unblock the rest of the thoughts.

At Reece's Rainbow, traditionally, children with down syndrome ages 0-5 are put on an 'angel tree'.  They are assigned a Christmas warrior (advocates and families sign up for whichever child is on their heart.  They can pick a first, second, and third choice.)  This year is special - three children from each other category (different ages or special needs) are also being included.  Wonderful for my heart for the older kids who haven't been chosen yet.

The job of the Christmas warrior, is to increase exposure of the child, pray for and love the child, and fundraise for the child - the goal for each child being $1,000.   All this is done between the first of November and the end of the year.  Last year, EVERY SINGLE CHILD met their goal.  Some of them have even been chosen for adoption.

Sign-ups for Angel Tree have been posted as starting on September 15 for several weeks now.  One of the first questions asked by this wonderful group of advocates was "so can we sign up at midnight?"  The answer was yes.  Now, I'm normally up late, but tonight I set an alarm on my phone to make sure I didn't get distracted and miss the start of sign-ups.  From 11 pm to 11:40 PM, I combed through every single child listed for Angel Tree.  If you'll look back and remember, I begged for a long time for people to vote for Brett to be on the Angel Tree.  It was pretty logical to put him as my first choice - but I didn't expect it to come to fruition, because he has a lovely and dedicated prayer warrior who is co-hosting an auction for him and other children with me, and I know he's on her heart as much as he is on mine.  Laura, were you up at midnight too?  Haha.  Anyways - my plan was always to raise money for both my AT child and Brett... pay it forward... help another Christmas warrior get their child over that fence.

As I was combing through the list of children... it was kind of funny.  I've spent the last seven years helping to raise two little girls.  I connect better with girls.  I'm drawn to them more.  But not this time.  This time, something was different.  This time, as I combed through all the faces, one little boy popped out at me...  another little boy with down syndrome.


Meet Elden.  

I saw his face, his fine hair, the joy on his face, I read Reece's Rainbow's description of how he was playful and loving and delightful, a blessing to everyone around him.

And I thought of another little boy.


If you've been reading... or if you're family... you've met this little boy... in some way.  Maybe not in person - I never met him in person, but I know him.

This is my uncle Tony... named for my grandfather (Anthony) and lovingly referred to by his family as 'Little Tony'.  He was born with down syndrome.  The doctors told my grandparents horrible things.  He would die within a year.  He wouldn't talk, or walk, or eat.  The best thing for him was to be put in an institution for 'children like this'.

But my grandparents, with their hearts of gold and courage of a thousand men and deep love for 'the least of these'... they did something radical for the time, in the early 1960's.

They brought their baby home.  Their baby with down syndrome.  Their baby that everyone told them to give away.

And guess what?  Not only did he live past the first year... he walked, talked, heard, saw, ate, played, loved, and was loved by everyone around him... for ten years.  All because of a nearly unprecedented choice his parents made.  God only knows what would have happened to him in an institution.  I don't even want to think about it.  I love him too much.  The stories, the pictures, the places, the memories, his favorite things... though I never got to meet him face to face... have shown me his strong, resilient spirit and endless love.  Stories, pictures, memories we would never have had if my grandparents, who already had seven other children at home, the youngest being my mother, who was four years old, had given that little boy up to a place "for children like that".



It makes me think.  Elden's little blurb on Reece's Rainbow describes him as delightful, playful, happy... and his picture... well, there's no denying how absolutely adorable he is, even with premature hair loss that sometimes occurs in children with down syndrome.  Beautifully balding.  Would fit right into my family, come to think of it...

It makes me think... if it were my Uncle Tony that was stuck in that institution across the ocean, likely to be transferred to an adult mental institution where conditions are harsher than harsh soon, no mommy, daddy, brothers or sisters to love and remember him... No M&Ms... none of Grandma's delicious cooking... no family to call his own... awaiting even worse conditions... Wouldn't I do anything to save him?  Wouldn't I scream and cry and war to bring Little Tony home?  You bet I would.

And how is Elden different?  He's a child.  He's not my family - but he's still a child - a child without a family... who deserves to know all the wonderful things about life.  I've never been one to care only for family and put others out of my mind - 'They are someone else's problem'.  Elden IS someone's son, even if they don't know it yet... but because of where he was born, maybe other factors... he hasn't had the opportunities a child with down syndrome growing up in a family home would have.  He hasn't experienced that kind of love.

Just as easily, the child sitting alone in an orphanage could have been my uncle, my friend, or myself.  And I would fight.  Just because we don't share a genetic connection doesn't mean I don't owe the same to Elden.  For we are ALL God's children.  For every child deserves a loving family.

So.... for the next few months, my blog is going to be peppered with posts about both this little boy and Brett (whose Christmas Warrior I very much expect is someone I know), fundraisers to meet that $1,000 goal (and there will be some seriously cool ones, you won't want to miss it... stay tuned!)  We are going to get these boys... boys I was inexplicably drawn to... maybe because of how much they remind me of someone I love... the exposure they need to be found by a family, the grant funding that makes it just a little bit easier for families to take that leap of faith to bring them home.  And then, when (WHEN, not if) families commit to them, we are going to be behind them 100%.

Donations can be made to the boys' accounts here and here, but they will only be counted toward the angel tree total after November 1.  If anyone would like to give before then, I'm willing to open up my personal paypal to keep funds to transfer on November 1 - just ask.  For accountability purposes I would forward the Reece's Rainbow 'receipt' notification to anyone who donated.

Or you can wait until November 1.  Start a change jar like I did... it's an old vinegar bottle, my 'bottle for Brett'.  Before long, another name will be etched onto that bottle.  When it's full, or ready, deposit it and send paypal or a check directly to the boys' grant funds.

Or (AND) you can wait to see the awesome fundraisers I am planning, some of which are more of a pre-Angel Tree awareness booster and will not count toward the $1,000 (but they will certainly count to these kids and the families who eventually step up for them) and others that won't be announced until November 1 or later.  I have some really exciting ideas up my sleeve for that time.  You're all going to call me crazy... but hey, isn't that the name of the blog anyways?  Yep.  Crazy... for the least of these... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And I also need to put it out there right away that I am happy, comfortable, and have everything I need.  Well, except Ukranian chocolate, but I suppose I'll survive.  There are more toys in this room than Brett or Elden have seen in their entire lives.  Electronic gadgets that would baffle them.

Because this is a Christmas event - I want to let you know I have one thing on my Christmas list... for both of these boys to meet their goals.  I'm past the days of every relative sending gifts, shiny boxes of overpriced random gadgets, even new clothes - I don't grow, so the ones I have are just fine.  I want for very little, material-wise.  But, in doing one simple thing, you can give a Christmas to at least three people.  You see, anyone who puts $35 or more in a child's grant during Angel Tree receives a beautiful ornament with that child's picture to hand on your Christmas tree... maybe remind you that it is the season of giving, of loving, of humbleness... not one of overcrowded superstores and the latest gadgets.  So right there - you've already given a gift to an orphan by contributing to his grant fund.  You've already given a gift to yourself - the beautiful ornament that will come in the mail to remind you of the gift you gave... and lastly... you'd be giving a gift to me.  Because my one and only Christmas wish, is for both these boys to meet their goals... even for families to find them.

Even if you've never considered adopting yourself, look at their little faces again... and make sure you are not scrolling past a picture of your son.  Share this post.  Share Reece's Rainbow.  Sometimes we don't know a child is missing from our families until they come home and you wonder how you ever lived so long without your child.  These kids need exposure.  They need someone to look at them and say 'that's my son.  I have to save him.'  So even if you can't donate, please share these children everywhere you can... facebook, twitter, work, school, neighborhood, blog, email, community event... help us get them seen.

50 years ago... who would've ever thought that this little boy, who the doctors dismissed as a hopeless case...


...would be the inspiration that drove his niece to scream for special needs children who were NOT lucky enough to have families... especially these little boys?

Who would have thought?

Elden (5 years old... a dangerous age to be in his country...)

Brett... turned 11 in August.  He has to find a family soon or he will be lost forever.


Thank you, Uncle Tony, for making me who I am... making me care... even though you never knew you were doing it.  I love you.  Please hold those special needs babes in your arms for me until I get to Heaven... tell them they are not forgotten.

Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa T. (now reunited with their precious son) for making a courageous choice that changed me forever.

And maybe.... thank you for helping me find families for these sweet children.




P.S. - Okay, so maybe I lied about the 'quickie' part.  It seems I can't write short posts.  Sorry <3

2 comments:

  1. Elden's picture could be a baby picture of your uncle, or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? That's why he initially grabbed my attention, I was scrolling through the page and all the sudden I thought I saw Little Tony! And then the realization hit me of how easily it could've been my uncle in an orphanage, whose memory I cherish, and I just thought... we have to get this boy out of there. Look at that joy on his face. I don't want him to get transferred and lose that.

      Delete